Thursday, May 12, 2011

Metaphorically speaking . . .

I have the  utmost respect for those that unschool.  (For those unfamiliar with what unschooling is it is child led education that uses real life to teach.  So instead of having a math text book and work book to learn addition facts you learn them through using math in real life situations, playing games, etc. Ok I'm sure my definition is lacking, but you get the idea.)  I've read the arguments for it and the philosophy behind it, and countless accounts of it in action.  It is the ideal way to learn.  I think however, it takes a special kind of person to teach that way.  That person is not me, not for the long haul anyway.  I do feel very strongly that if you pull a child out of school, it's the first step everyone should take after a period of decompression.  I feel I'm not that special type of teacher for a few reasons.  First I need a plan (or I freak, I'm a little high strung).  More importantly, I don't automatically see "teachable moments" the way some do, and I don't have the confidence in my stores of knowledge to know I would at least cover the basics.  Despite my lack of faith in myself, unschooling has taken the major role of education here.  It has been a fall back when other programs haven't worked, or the fill in for when I'm ill.  And I must say I'm pretty impressed with how well it works.  There are lots of things that sound good on paper, or in theory, but in practice fall apart.  I fear often that unschooling is one of them, but I must say it's not.  Unless my 9yo daughter is sneaking out in the middle of the night to get tutored.  My proof, well it's not a test with a big fat A at the top, or a pile of completed workbooks.  It's the unexpected moments in a conversation with one of my kids when I think "since when did he/she/they know that?"    The following shows despite the fact that I think we need to "do more school"  things seem to be moving along.

Lately my 9yo daughter has been talking more and more about how she is getting older, and can do more, needs more responsibility and so on.  Here is how it went down.

"Pretty soon I will only need you and dad for balance."  ~E

Psychically I knew what she meant even tho she seemed to start the conversation in mid thought.  But she explained even tho I said yeah.


"You know, kids lean on their parents when they are little."  ~E

"Yeah." ~Me

"Metaphorically speaking, they don't really lean on them.  Just that you need your parents for everything when you are little."  ~E

Metaphorically speaking I wish she didn't have a lead foot.  





2 comments: